Friday, November 12, 2010

Gift of Gold

Why do people wear jewelry?  Is it to display status or wealth?  Is it symbolic?  Or is it just for fun?  I came across an article -- The Psychology of Jewellery -- that emphasized the latter.  It said they viewed that most jewelry is worn for the "feel good factor."

Now, I never really thought about why people take time out of their day to adorn themselves.  I know I do, and if I do not have my "regulars" on, I feel incomplete; naked almost.  It has become a habit for me.  I constantly 'play' with my rings -- and have lost several this way -- so if there is nothing there to fidget with, it feels odd.

Another reason that I wear some of my jewels is that they were gifts.  One ring, that I do not leave the house without, is from my mother.  It isn't anything of great value, but it is hers.  That's enough of a reason for me.  Many people, I believe, share this reason.  It was a gift.  Gifts make you feel special, loved.  So wearing something that was given to you reinstates that feeling every time you put it on.  Whether it be a cheap imitation or an expensive gem.  It all has the same emotional value.

Same thing goes for wedding/engagement rings.  It is to display your emotion -- love, hopefully -- about your partner.  They gave me this ring to show their affection for me, I wear it to show the same affection back.  It almost becomes a compliment in that sense.

People all work the same, we all love compliments.  No matter if you admit to it or not, it is true.  It makes you feel good about yourself.  So if you receive jewelry as a gift, it is flattering.  And why not show that admiration off?  Who knows,  you might just get a compliment on it....






 

1 comment:

  1. I often think of my jewelry (which I wear very little of) as being another aesthetic dimension of my outfit. It offers a sense of sculpture, shape, texture, which I'm always looking for.

    ReplyDelete